“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Blog 20: Reflection on the food unit

I really enjoyed the first classes of the Food Unit, especially watching “The Meatrix” and parts of “Super Size Me”. “The Meatrix” was funny but as well as “Super Size Me” very educational. I also enjoyed reading the content on http://www.sustainabletable.org/, which was needed to complete part II of Blog 15.
“The Matrix”, “Allegory of the Cave” and the Truman are all about learning the unknown. In all of these cases the unknown stands for the truth. Neo form “The Matrix” learned of the not so pretty reality of the real world outside the Matrix, one prisoner from “The Allegory of The Cave” who was lucky to escape the Cave learned all the beautiful things there were outside the Cave and Truman from the “Truman Show” learned that there is way more to life besides of what he had already experienced and that it doesn’t have to be as monotonous. In my opinion using the “The Matrix”as basis for the “The Meatrix” was a very simple, catchy and funny way of showing the horrifying realities of farming industries.
Leo the main character of ”The Meatrix” just like Neo for “The Matrix” is given a choice of taking the red or blue pill. He decides to take the red pill to discover the truth.
The whole point of the media unit we previously studied in class was to open our eyes to new things and develop our experiences. What I think this has in common with the food unit is that if we do not take interest in what we eat we’ll live in “the matrix”, “cave” and “Seahaven” not realizing what we really consume. We have to start reading labels that are placed on the products we buy, visit farmers markets and not just shop in supermarkets because it seems more convenient, since they do sell everything we might be looking for, and most of all we should stay away from fast food restaurants and find the time to cook ourselves.   
I found Cat #3 really hard to respond to. I started writing my summary and I wanted to write a thesis, but I couldn’t find a way to respond to the passage. I figured I’ll try something else than, so I got rid of my summary and started writing about a significant thing in the reading and than tried to response to it and so on. I think I really did not do a good job at all with this cat. I did not give any examples with my responses.
In general I feel like I am stuck. I did not see any progress in my writing throughout the Food Unit.

1 comment:

  1. What a pity that you could not carry on the momentum from the beginning of the unit. Perhaps the next unit will be easier to connect to.

    ReplyDelete