“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blog 10: Reflection on Skills

In my ENG 099 class with Dr. X, I have learned about the four most important writing skills that are: Annotating, Summarizing, Thesis-based writing, and Paragraphing.
All of these writing skills when put to use together make a great whole which would be a clear, on topic and well developed essay.
Annotating will definitely help me concentrate on the main ideas of the given text, which will reflect in my summary that will than show that I have read the text with understanding it. By writing thesis’s I will be certain that I write a paragraph about each reason given in the said thesis, and paragraphing will show that I can relate to the given text with examples from my personal life, books, movies etc.
After the lessons we had so far I feel more comfortable with my writing, because I now have a clear visual of how my CAT essay should look like. If my essay will consist of a summary, good thesis, developed paragraphs and a clear conclusion I should not have a problem in passing the exam. The only thing I have to make sure of is to stick to the subject and not brain storm to something totally irrelevant.
The only really confusing thing we were asked to do was Blog #5 – Summarizing the symbolic meaning of “The Allegory of the Cave” by Plato. I just hope that with time, like Dr. X told me, I will get a better and better understanding of it.

2 comments:

  1. You on top of the world. I'm going to try to buddy up with you. You know a lot. I will learn from you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the honest and useful self-assessment. This really helps me understand where you are in terms of the lessons. :-)

    ReplyDelete